Italy at a Glance
Best Time to Visit
Modes of Transportation
Must-See Destinations in Italy
Alongside our Italy travel specialists, we have created a list of our favorite highlights of Italy. Depending on how much time you have, we have recommendations on where you should go and what you should do. Below is a short list of the must-see destinations along with the various experiences you can enjoy while traveling through Italy.
Rome | Florence | Tuscany | Venice | Amalfi Coast | Cinque Terre | Lake District | Sicily
- Discover the Colosseum, Roman Forum, and other Roman ruins
- Experience the Sistine Chapel, St. Peter’s Basilica, museums, and historical works of art at the Vatican
- Witness the Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps, and Pantheon
- Savor an afternoon in Piazza Navona
- Visit the Ponte Vecchio, Duomo (Cattedrale di Santa Maria del Fiore), Piazza Santa Croce, and Museo dell’Opera dell Duomo
- Discover the Uffizi, Galleria dell’Accademia, Bargello National Museum, and Casa Buonarroti
- Enjoy an Olive Oil Tour and Tasting, Wine Tour (Chianti), and the towns of Siena, San Gimignano, Pisa, and Lucca
- Visit Doge’s Palace, St. Mark’s Square, the Jewish Ghetto, and the Grand Canal
- Enjoy a scenic ride through the canals with a gondolier
- Visit Murano Island for glass artifacts and a glass blowing demonstration
- Hike the towns of Cinque Terre
- Travel between the towns of the Amalfi Coast
- Climb the Leaning Tower of Pisa
- Wander the ancient cities of Pompeii and Herculaneum
- Shop the Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II and the boutiques that fill every street and alley
Best Time to Visit
Best Time to Visit Italy
The best time to visit Italy is during the first half of May, the second half of August, or the last half of October.
Visiting Italy in the summer months has changed in the past decade because the second half of August has become a great time to visit due to smaller crowds and the waning summer heat.
Modes of Transportation
Modes of Transportation in Italy
The best way to see Italy is by train. The high-speed train travels from Venice in the north to Bari in the southeast while also reaching popular cities like Florence, Rome, and Naples. The train system is very comfortable, fast, reliable, and accessible throughout the country. We recommend the first-class seats because they are much nicer than second-class and only slightly more expensive.
We also recommend use of a private driver. On windy roads through small villages, and in busy cities, the knowledge of a local can ease your journey significantly.
Renting a car is great in Tuscany or the Lakes Region but can hinder your Italy tour in other destinations due to the quality and size of the roads, traffic, and possible issues of property damage.Zicasso always includes private transfers to and from the airport or between destinations for your best stress-free Italy tour, which circumvents possible taxi service charges or miscommunications.
What to Consider When Traveling Through Italy
Travel considerations during your Italy tour include safety, ease of logistics, and accessibility. The following information offers our recommendations on what to consider:
Is Italy Safe for Travel?
Italy is very safe. During your Italy tour, you will find the people and country welcoming and eager to share their culture. As anywhere, pickpocketing can be a concern, especially in larger tourist destinations like Rome, Florence, or Venice. Healthwise, there are no concerns regarding the general safety of eating and drinking throughout Italy.
Which airports should I be looking at?
The top active airports in Italy are:
- Rome – Leonardo da Vinci International Airport (FCO)
- Venice – Marco Polo Airport (VCE)
- Milan – Malpensa International Airport (MXP)
- Pisa – Galileo Galilei Airport (PSA)
- Florence – Florence Peretola Airport (FLR)
- Naples – Naples International Airport (NAP)
Can Zicasso help me with flights?
Zicasso Air Desk is an international air ticketing service that eliminates the stress of finding and booking the right flights for your upcoming vacation. By employing the same personalized service you can expect from planning a trip with Zicasso, our competitive flight pricing, 24x7 service and support, and complimentary consultation of routing versus pricing with an expert flight specialist make finding the perfect flight for your trip effortless.
Does Zicasso assist with travel insurance?
You’ve booked your dream vacation, now protect it with travel insurance. A wide range of factors can leave your vacation in limbo. Medical emergencies, inclement weather, and unexpected cancellations can cause turmoil for your trip, so in the unlikely event of a disaster, get the travel insurance coverage that provides peace of mind. To get a quote, visit our travel insurance page.
Why We Don’t Recommend Short-Term Rental Apartments
The short-term rental market (such as those available through Airbnb, VRBO, etc.) is not a regulated business in Italy, meaning that, if you book such an apartment today for travel in six months, by the time you reach Italy, the rental may have shut down and may no longer be available. For this reason, it is much better to stay in a regulated hotel or in an apartment that is professionally owned and managed (especially if it’s personally inspected by a travel specialist).