New Zealand at a Glance
2021 New Zealand Travel Updates
Best Time to Visit
2021 New Zealand Travel Updates
Can I travel to New Zealand in 2021?
New Zealand has not yet announced the re-opening of the country to American travelers.
While we await opportunities for other international travelers, our travel specialists advise putting plans in motion for 2022 as pent-up demand will be significant. If you are interested in traveling to New Zealand, working with a travel specialist now will put you in an excellent position to book when the time is right.
Related: Countries Open to American Travelers
Must-See Destinations in New Zealand
Our New Zealand travel specialists have recommendations for any length of trip, as there are many must-see places in New Zealand. Depending on the time of year and who you are traveling with, the islands offer so many spectacular things to do and amazing places to visit.
Queenstown | Auckland | Waiheke | Rotorua | Abel Tasman National Park | Fiordland National Park | Napier | Kaikoura | Bay of Islands | Lake Taupo
- Explore the natural wonders of Waitomo Cave and the glow worm grotto
- Follow the walking trails or cruise the waters of Lake Wakatipu
- Take in the spectacular views of the Milford Sound from the sky or the sea
- Delight in the local wines on both the North and the South Islands
- Wander through the vineyards, beaches and olive groves of Waiheke
- Stop by Hot Water Beach on the North Island and enjoy the natural jacuzzi
- Enjoy an immersive village visit in the geothermal area for deeper insight into traditional New Zealand culture and Maori heritage
- Learn to weave traditional Maori patterns and designs
- Watch for whales in the Pacific Ocean around Kaikoura
- Wander into the fantasy world of J.R.R. Tolkien and the Lord of the Rings in Hobbiton
- Enjoy the glassy waters of Tasman Bay on kayak and snorkeling excursions
- Dive the waters of the Tutukaka Coast, the Poor Knights Islands or Milford Sound
- Experience the preserved heritage and art in endless galleries and museums
- Trek across the Tongariro Alpine Crossing and explore this UNESCO Heritage site
- Hike through the Fiordland National Park
- Spend the night at Milford Sound and enjoy the natural tranquility
- Hike the rugged trails that wind around the ridges, hills, and bays of Marlborough Sound
- Savor your time in the Abel Tasman National Park with wildlife and spectacular scenery
- Wander the wine-growing regions of Marlborough, Hawkes Bay and more
- Glamp on a secluded riverbank with a private guide and chef
Best Time to Visit
Best Time to Visit New Zeland
The best time to visit New Zealand is between December and February, though New Zealand is a fantastic destination year-round.
December, January, and February are the summer season for the Southern Hemisphere, and offer the perfect escape of winter weather in the United States. March and April offer brisk weather, perfect for outdoor excursions. July and August are winter, and fantastic for skiing, geothermal explorations, whale watching and more. September and October bring the end of the snow season, for an inspiring time to visit.
What to Consider When Traveling Through New Zealand
Is New Zealand Safe for Travel?
New Zealand is very safe for travelers. While you should exercise normal safety precautions, such as not leaving your belongings unattended, New Zealand is incredibly safe and rated in the 2017 Global Peace Index as one of the world’s most peaceful countries.
Is it easy to get around New Zealand?
Your Zicasso travel specialist will ensure that your logistics are as smooth as possible by including private airport transfers, domestic flights, and any necessary helicopter or city transfers between destinations to create a stress-free New Zealand tour.
Which airports should I be looking at?
For most travelers, the most convenient airport is Auckland (AKL) followed by Christchurch’s International Airport (CHC), which will see more direct flights to the South Island in 2020. The busiest airports in New Zealand include:
- Auckland (AKL)
- Christchurch (CHC)
- Wellington (WLG)
- Queenstown (ZQN)
Can Zicasso help me with flights?
Zicasso Flights is an international air ticketing service that eliminates the stress of finding and booking the right flights for your upcoming vacation. By employing the same personalized service you can expect from planning a trip with Zicasso, our competitive flight pricing, 24x7 service and support, and complimentary consultation of routing versus pricing with an expert flight specialist make finding the perfect flight for your trip effortless.
Does Zicasso assist with travel insurance?
You’ve booked your dream vacation, and you will want to protect it with travel insurance. A wide range of factors can leave your vacation in limbo. Medical emergencies, inclement weather, and unexpected cancellations can cause turmoil for your trip, so in the unlikely event of a disaster, get the travel insurance coverage that provides peace of mind. To get a quote, visit our travel insurance page.