The iconic Mara River divides the grasslands to separate the Masai Mara from the Serengeti. From June to October, both sides of the river teem with wildlife as the resident mammals are joined by the marauding millions of the great wildebeest migration. Such abundance creates Africa's greatest wildlife spectacle and the signature cycle of predator and prey. Much like the ungulates, this 9-day safari intimately explores both sides of the Mara and East Africa's flagship experience.
Mara North Conservancy – First Game Drive
Even on the remote airstrip, you can sense the tension. Not from the aviation officials, but from a herd of Thomson's gazelle that are scattered across the plains. They are on high alert, although none of them seem quite sure where the threat is coming from? In your safari vehicle, you will have a higher vantage point, and the guide manages to betray the cheetah's camouflage. The spotted hunter moves furtively through the grass until a muffled call rings out and the gazelle scatters, skipping across the airstrip right in front of your eyes. Welcome to the Masai Mara, the land where predator and prey live out the circle of life and not even a plane can interrupt the show.
After landing at Nairobi International Airport, you will be transferred to Nairobi Wilson Airport for the light aircraft flight to the Mara North Conservancy. The journey from the airstrip to the lodge is a short one, but you are already on safari so the guide will take you on a leisurely game drive across the plains. Hippos open their enormous jaws as you stop for a picnic lunch by a river. Lionesses are also spotted hiding in the grass on the trail of a skittish hartebeest herd as the sightings of wildebeest and zebra seem never to end. When two million mammals are congregated on the plains, it's hard to go long without inspiring wildlife encounters. The length of the game drive is flexible, looping you across the ecosystem to the your lodge and the tranquility of a private cottage where you can gaze out from the verandah, and the wildlife sights continue.
Mara North Conservancy – On the Trail of the Big Cats
Mara North Conservancy – Hot Air Balloon Above the Mara
Mara North Conservancy – Walking Safari with Masai Warriors
Serengeti – A Rhino Sanctuary
Serengeti – The Iconic Serengeti Masai Mara River Crossing
Serengeti – Bush Walks and Game Drives in Northern Serengeti
Serengeti – Masai Boma
Kilimanjaro – Departure
- Trace the wonders of the great wildebeest migration as you explore both sides of the Mara River, the Masai Mara, and northern Serengeti
- Watch massive herds of wildebeest rumble across the crocodile-infested Mara River, one of Africa's most iconic sights
- Hot air balloon above the Masai Mara and gaze down on the patchwork of grass and grazers to admire the patterns of the migration from the air
- Surround yourself with zebra, wildebeest and Thomson's gazelle as hundreds of thousands of the ungulates reveal the scale and exquisite detail of the region
- Follow the big cats on their stealthy journeys and discover an astonishing abundance of different predators: lion, leopard, cheetah, hyena, jackal, vulture, and more
- Explore the private Mara North Conservancy and find a version of the great wildebeest migration that is inaccessible to other tourists
- Enjoy two of East Africa's finest safari accommodations, with a private cottage and a luxurious tented suite
- Base yourself in northern Serengeti, an area that's filled with the migrating herds yet sees very few visitors
- Compliment the thrilling game drives with walking safaris guided by Masai warriors, a chance to get even closer to the charms of the plains
- Savor the unique extras, like bush dinners beneath the stars and bubble baths overlooking the migration
$4,045 per person (excluding international flights)
- In-country transportation
- Some or all activities and tours
- Expert trip planning
- 24x7 support during your trip
Your final trip cost will vary based on your selected accommodations, activities, meals, and other trip elements that you opt to include.
Reviews of Zicasso's Referral Service
4.89 stars based on 157 reviews.
Reviewed By Brian M.
Reviewed By Jamie M.
Reviewed By Joseph R.
Reviewed By Jim D.
Reviewed By John P.
Reviewed By Andrea L.