Vast swathes of northern Botswana are far too wild for roads or even for rugged four-wheel driving. Access to the pristine wilderness is by light aircraft, touching down on dusty airstrips surrounded by elephants. Fly in and then explore to spend two days each in five distinctive safari destinations. From the Chobe woodlands to the Okavango oasis, Savute Channel to Makgadikgadi Pans, this luxury safari showcases the mystique and wonder of both the Delta and the desert.
Day 1 - 2
Chobe National Park - Spectacular Woodland and River Safari
Beneath the canopy, you will go to follow sandy trails as you bump into the woodland. An elephant will block the trail, the large tusks forcing you to stop. Soon the rest of the herd will emerge as nearly 30 of them will slowly amble past, including two babies that swing their trunk with near comical curiosity. Inch a little further, and the scene will repeat itself with a big male hooting as the rest of the herd bulldozes their way through the trees. Giraffe is seen equally regularly with their heads above the high branches. As the sandy trail reaches the river, you will get your first glimpse of hippos, along with a buffalo herd chewing and chomping their way across the high grasses. Within an hour or so, some of the animals become so commonplace that you will not even point them out: elephants, giraffe, buffalo, zebra, lechwe, impala. As you continue, much more will continue to surprise, like tsessebe that skips out from the trees or a troop of baboons creating a riot of noise.
After touching down in Maun, you will transfer to a chartered light aircraft and a flight over the Okavango. Beneath the wingtips, the landscapes will transform from desert to delta, and then to the thick awning of the Chobe woodland. Touch down, and you will already be deep in the wilderness. The game drive will take you further in to bring these inspiring first safari impressions as you travel to your lodge, nestled on the Chobe River. Resident buffalo and lion pride create dramatic scenes close to the lodge, while any number of animals could come down to the river for a drink.
Over these first two days, you will combine game drives with cruises along the Chobe River. The latter will take you past hundreds of hippos, an even more evocative sight when you cruise at sunset, and they are seen emerging from the water. You will be staying in one of Botswana's original luxury lodges, a place of opulence that blends seamlessly with the natural environment. Accommodation later on the safari will be a bit more rustic, particularly in revealing how the wildlife roams freely amongst the camps. As a starting point, this lodge eases you into the wilds of Africa, with the salubrious fittings helping to soothe any aches from travel.
Day 3 - 4
Savute Channel – Mysterious Safari Landscape
Day 5 - 6
Shinde Concession – Classic Okavango Water Safari
Day 7 - 8
Moremi Game Reserve – The Big-Game Heart of the Delta
Day 9 - 10
Makgadikgadi Pans National Park – Desert Safari Along the Boteti River
Maun – Departure
- Fly into the distinctive destinations of northern Botswana using light aircraft to enjoy a sublime aerial safari and explore the rich diversity of the region
- Spend four days on safari in the Okavango Delta, the beautiful blue oasis of islands and lagoons that stretch across the heart of the Kalahari Desert
- Surround yourself with the world's largest elephant population in Chobe National Park with the pachyderms joined by equally impressive numbers of giraffe, buffalo, zebra and more
- Explore wilderness areas that are not accessible by road, your chartered plane a chance to getaway into the wild and unseen big-game landscapes of Africa
- Explore the Savute Channel, a remote stretch of northern Botswana that's full of thrilling predator encounters, including rare wild dogs and leopards
- Moremi Game Reserve is the evocative big-game heart of the Okavango, bringing a safari experience that is full of both drama and charm
- The Shinde Concession offers an iconic water-based Delta experience, with motorboats and traditional wooden canoes that reveal the enchantment of the watery wilderness
- Complete your safari deep in the desert to spend two days in the Makgadikgadi Pans National Park to admire the nomads that come to drink from the Boteti River
- Savor the ultimate of luxury in the bush with a series of handpicked camps and lodges that ensure an immersive safari experience
$14,438 per person (excluding international flights)
- In-country transportation
- Some or all activities and tours
- Expert trip planning
- 24x7 support during your trip
Your final trip cost will vary based on your selected accommodations, activities, meals, and other trip elements that you opt to include.
Reviews of Zicasso's Referral Service
4.94 stars based on
Reviewed By SATHYANARAYANA S.
Reviewed By patricia g.
Reviewed By Sarah S.
Reviewed By Paul R.
Reviewed By Danijela Z.
Reviewed By Jim H.