The focal point of most Serengeti safaris is the great wildebeest migration. But you don't need to visit during the migration to explore the wonders of these evocative grasslands. Travel between August and December, and the Serengeti experience is equally sublime, a chance to connect with nature, avoid the crowds, and still encounter hundreds of thousands of wild animals. With four distinctive experiences, this 10-day safari showcases how the Serengeti teems with life all year around.
Northern Serengeti – Safari in Serengeti's Most Abundant Year-Round Area
An early arrival into Kilimanjaro International Airport is followed by an enchanting flight over the Serengeti plains, a light aircraft cruising the length of the grasslands and descending onto an airstrip in the north. It's the Northern Serengeti that has the greatest concentration of wildlife throughout the entire year, the proximity to the Mara River maintaining food and life throughout the driest of the months. The mammal population swells from May to July as the migration passes through. Many ungulates then make the perilous crossing over the river, although some of the herds prefer to stick to the fresh grazing pastures of the Northern Serengeti. This area is also on the migration route when the wildebeest and zebra return south, usually in scattered clumps of herds, perhaps just half of the number that started the annual journey.
From the airstrip, there's a brief game drive en route to the camp, then a hearty early lunch and time to rest under the canvas. Luxurious and chic, your safari camp reflects the quality of accommodation in Northern Serengeti. Expect an uninterrupted connection with nature, the sounds flowing into the opulent tent, and the curtains opening each morning to roaming mammals. Later in the afternoon, you head out on a game drive, an exploratory journey that unravels the diversity of the plains. Thompson's gazelle are scattered across one panorama; then turn around to encounter a cackle of a hyena. Giraffes and elephants are easily spotted from afar, then thrillingly encountered amongst the trees. A warthog scurries along as a baboon troop shouts from the bushes; enjoy a serene sunset as the hippos start emerging from the water.
Northern Serengeti – Game Drives in and Around the Mara River
Day 3 - 4
Northern Serengeti – Mobile Camping and Walking Safari
Grumeti Reserve – Exclusive Game Drives
Grumeti Reserve – Horseback Safari and Admiring the Hippos
Day 7 - 9
Namiri Plains – The Serengeti's Private Big Cat Safari Destination
Kilimanjaro – Departure
- Explore the beautiful enormity of the Serengeti and encounter an unfathomable number of wild mammals, from wildebeests and zebras to elephants and predators
- The Northern Serengeti plains are packed with life throughout the year and make a wonderful place to begin a luxury Serengeti safari
- Travel outside the main tourist season and explore exclusive parts of the ecosystem, allowing for a private Serengeti experience that's miles from any other visitors or vehicles
- Savor two days of mobile camping on the Serengeti plains, an opportunity to intimately connect with the wild and open all your senses to its nuances
- Spend three days in a private concession teeming with big cats in Eastern Serengeti, exploring a landscape that was only opened to visitors in 2014
- Settle into the raw splendor of the Grumeti Reserve in the west, where a horseback safari is among the activities
- Immserse yourself in the drama of the Serengeti and the big cats stalking their prey
- Celebrate the authenticity of safari at a series of exceptional camps, each offering a new style and experience on the plains
This safari is designed for those visiting the Serengeti from August to December, although it would also be suitable for travel during any month of the year. The Serengeti may be famous for the migration, but there's so much more going on throughout the year.
$9,795 per person (excluding international flights)
- In-country transportation
- Some or all activities and tours
- Expert trip planning
- 24x7 support during your trip
Your final trip cost will vary based on your selected accommodations, activities, meals, and other trip elements that you opt to include.
Reviews of Zicasso's Referral Service
4.92 stars based on 326 reviews.
Reviewed By Roshana S.
Reviewed By Monique L.
Reviewed By Elise F.
Reviewed By Rachael H.
Reviewed By Chris S.
Reviewed By jack c.