Gorillas in the mist, lions on the savannah, chimpanzees in the rainforest, and you will only be beginning to uncover the magic of Rwanda. The Land of a Thousand Hills is packed with rare wildlife experiences and evocative tales of the past, from the monkeys of the Congo Basin to the hippos in the Akagera swamps. Celebrating the highlights of Rwanda, this 10-day safari is privately guided and will explore three contrasting national parks with a moving insight into human history in between.
Akagera National Park – Introduction to Rwanda
Your welcome to Rwanda will come from animals that you might not expect to see here. Lions lounge on the savanna, basking on lush grass as they laze away the afternoon and rhinos prowl, creating a stunned silence when they pass the vehicle. Turn around to find an elephant with its iconic shape painted against a backdrop of hills. Not far away are the stripes of a zebra herd, grazing and moving with inherent grace. After landing at Kigali International Airport, you will be greeted by a private guide for a two-hour transfer to Akagera National Park, arriving in time for lunch on the lodge verandah.
Begin your adventure with your first game drive to follow the prints in the sand to a lion pride. One lion yawns as another one stretches and starts to wander over, circumnavigating the vehicle as you watch on with both excitement and trepidation. On the outskirts of bushes, you may be able to see the rhinos, and all across the savanna is the evidence of wildlife diversity. Akagera is one of Africa’s great conservation success stories, a park returned to its pristine natural state barely two decades after it was partially populated by those displaced by the genocide. On your private game drive, you can explore serenely, stopping to admire the expressions in an impala’s eyes and the antics of a hippo barreling out of the water. Your lodge will offer uninterrupted views over the landscape, continuing the safari into the evening.
Akagera National Park – Exploring the Savanna
Kigali – Intimate Walking Safari and an Insight Into History
Nyungwe Forest National Park – Moving Genocide Stories
Nyungwe Forest National Park – Strange Monkeys of the Congo Basin
Nyungwe Forest National Park – Chimpanzee Trekking
Volcanoes National Park – Stunning Aerial Safari
Volcanoes National Park – Intimate Gorilla Trekking
Volcanoes National Park – A Second Gorilla Trekking Experience
Kigali – Departure
- Immerse yourself in the beautiful interactions of a wild mountain gorilla troop as you trek through the thick rainforest and spend an hour with the world’s largest primate species
- Explore the wonders of the savanna with game drives in Akagera National Park to track lions, rhinos and the other giants of East Africa
- Journey into the Congo Basin rainforest and discover the remarkable monkeys and mangabeys in Nyungwe Forest National Park
- Gain an immersive insight into Rwanda’s history as you listen to haunting life stories at several genocide memorials but also travel further back in time to uncover the rich origins of the country
- Engage in the magical experience found in Nyungwe as a wild troop of chimpanzees creates an hour of captivating charm far from any signs of humanity
- Trek twice as gorilla trekking is too good only to do once and on a second trek, you can visit a different troop to admire an entirely new collection of behaviors and interactions
- Fly along the western boundary of Rwanda and enjoy stunning aerial imagery, including Lake Kivu and the thick Congo Basin forests beneath the wingtips
- Enjoy privately-guided activities that will create flexibility that can respond to your mood and interests alongside road journeys that allow for stops in local villages and other points of interest as you travel
$6,095 per person (excluding international flights)
- In-country transportation
- Some or all activities and tours
- Expert trip planning
- 24x7 support during your trip
Your final trip cost will vary based on your selected accommodations, activities, meals, and other trip elements that you opt to include.
Reviews of Zicasso's Referral Service
4.79 stars based on
Reviewed By carmen c.
Reviewed By Carol t.
Reviewed By Ken S.
Reviewed By Rick H.
Reviewed By Susan W.
Reviewed By Richard K.