Rwanda rewards wildlife photographers with some of our planet’s most iconic images: gorillas in the mist, portraits of chimpanzees, endangered monkeys with alluring expressions. In Volcanoes and Nyungwe Forest National Parks, you get close to these rare primates. Traveling with a specialist photographer guide, this nine-day safari itinerary finds the epic wildlife portraits and seductive Rwandan landscapes, helping you capture the images that define our planet and the fight for conservation.
Kigali – Welcome and Introduction to the Safari
Kigali is easy on the eye and surprising for the camera. It is a city of color, backdropped by endless green hills and a sense of enthusiasm. The capital is not a giant metropolis; it is more an oversized village of broad tree-lined boulevards. You will be greeted at the airport for a short transfer to a five-star hotel in the city. Meet your guide, and spend the late-afternoon hours exploring the city, taking photos as the fading sun disappears behind the hills. It is an easy introduction, a chance to get used to having the camera in your hands and look for angles, especially if it has been gathering dust at home. But it is just an introduction; nothing too serious for this first day. Return to the hotel, and dine with your guide at the hotel’s restaurant, a chance to discuss the safari itinerary and the subjects you will be encountering.
Volcanoes National Park – Communities of the Forest: A Cultural Insight
Volcanoes National Park – Tracking Golden Monkeys
Volcanoes National Park – Gorilla Trekking for Wildlife Photographers
Volcanoes National Park – Second Gorilla Trek for More Epic Portraits
Nyungwe Forest National Park – Landscapes and Legends of Lake Kivu
Day 7 - 8
Nyungwe Forest National Park – Photographing Rare and Remarkable Primates
Nyungwe Forest National Park to Kigali – Departure
- Capture spectacular portraits of the world’s largest primates with two days of gorilla trekking in Volcanoes National Park
- Travel with a wildlife photographer guide, learning the tricks and tips of wildlife photography specific to the challenging conditions found in Rwanda
- Prepare yourself for photographing gorillas with a day spent tracking golden monkeys, a chance to test out conditions in the rainforest and photograph another of the country’s mystical species
- Explore thick Congo Basin forest and photograph more of the world’s rarest primates, expert guides getting you close to silver monkeys, grey-cheeked mangabeys, and Hamlyn’s and Dent’s mona monkeys
- Spend a day tracking chimpanzees, getting photos of an incredible likeness to yourself
- Explore the green hills of Rwanda with a drive along Lake Kivu and visits to communities around Volcanoes National Park, enjoying endless opportunities for landscapes and portraits
- Photograph an astonishing display of scale with 700-strong colobus monkey troops that jump through the Nyungwe Forest
- Always have your camera on hand as rare primates swing past the lodge, the combination of wild and urban life making for fabulous composition
$15,205 per person (excluding international flights)
- In-country transportation
- Some or all activities and tours
- Expert trip planning
- 24x7 support during your trip
Your final trip cost will vary based on your selected accommodations, activities, meals, and other trip elements that you opt to include.
Reviews of Zicasso's Referral Service
4.79 stars based on 42 reviews.
Reviewed By carmen c.
Reviewed By Carol t.
Reviewed By Larry N.
Reviewed By Rick H.
Reviewed By Susan W.
Reviewed By Richard K.