Majestic silverback gorillas beating their chest, 600-strong troops of colobus monkeys, chimpanzees draped across ebony trees, exotic species from the Congo Basin all abound as Rwanda is home to the world’s greatest primate encounters. Immersing yourself in the exotic realm of Nyungwe Forest and Volcanoes National Park, this iconic safari will explore the depths and details of the region's primates, from the unusual grey-cheeked mangabey to two intimate gorilla trekking experiences.
Kigali – A Day in Rwanda’s Vibrant Capital
Kigali is a remarkable city and will inspire anyone who may think that Rwanda would still be suffering from the genocide of 1994. Spotlessly clean and spacious, the city is dominated by broad tree-lined boulevards and a sense of calm. There are few, if any, more tranquil urban landscapes in the whole of East Africa, and a night in Kigali provides the perfect transition as you prepare for your primate adventure. You will be met at the airport and transferred to the city’s most iconic five-star hotel, and your suite will have incredible views over the city.
This first day will be at your leisure, and your private guide will take you on a tour of the city’s sights. The day’s route is flexible dependent on your energy level and your interest, though the National Genocide Memorial cannot be missed, and you must spend at least a few hours wandering one of the colorful local markets. Other nearby memorials provide a heart-wrenching, first-hand insight into what happened, with bloodstains on church walls and mass piles of human bones. The city’s tenacious spirit and respect for their past are an incredible testimony to the enthusiasm of today, showcasing how Rwanda does not live in the past but look ahead into tomorrow.
Nyungwe Forest National Park – Surrounded by Monkeys
Nyungwe Forest National Park – Tracking Chimpanzees
Nyungwe Forest National Park – Rare and Unique Primate Encounters
Volcanoes National Park – Cultural Connections in the Misty Forest
Volcanoes National Park – Evocative Gorilla Trekking
Volcanoes National Park – Searching for the Golden Monkeys
Volcanoes National Park – Meeting a Second Gorilla Troop
Kigali – Departure
- Uncover the intricate exoticism of the Congo Basin, safely explored from Rwanda’s remote Nyungwe Forest National Park
- Journey into the thick mountainous hills of Volcanoes National Park, one of only two remaining strongholds of the critically-endangered mountain gorilla, the world’s largest primate
- Spend a day tracking chimpanzees and follow their strange echoed shouts to the heart of the wilderness
- Seek out troops of rare golden monkeys with their iconic primates with deft blue faces and resplendent fur
- Discover astonishing scenes in the Nyungwe Forest, with 600-strong troops of colobus monkeys, along with the bizarre and rare owl-faced monkey, silver monkey, L’Hoest’s monkey, and grey-cheeked mangabey
- Meet conservationists and communities as you follow in the footsteps of Dian Fossey to explore the successes behind gorilla conservation in Rwanda
- Create unbelievable memories with two gorilla treks that will guide your discovery of Rwanda’s primates with one bringing astonishing intimacy, and the other focused on the elaborate details
- Savor the dreamy forest vistas as you fly over Nyungwe Forest and Volcanoes National Park and gaze out over the misty canopy from your lodge
$6,385 per person (excluding international flights)
- In-country transportation
- Some or all activities and tours
- Expert trip planning
- 24x7 support during your trip
Your final trip cost will vary based on your selected accommodations, activities, meals, and other trip elements that you opt to include.
Reviews of Zicasso's Referral Service
4.79 stars based on
Reviewed By carmen c.
Reviewed By Carol t.
Reviewed By Rick H.
Reviewed By Ken S.
Reviewed By Susan W.
Reviewed By Richard K.