Experience the life of Nelson Mandela on a custom-tailored legacy tour spanning the political and civil life of one South Africa’s greatest leaders. Follow in the footsteps of Mandela from childhood to presidency with specialist guides taking you on a distinctive tribute from Soweto to a private retreat at the Shambala game reserve. You will luxuriate along the banks of a glistening lake, uncover a storied life in the confines Robben Island, and enjoy the promises of a bright future in the colorful...
Johannesburg - Formative Political Years: Mandela’s Home and Legacy in Soweto
Your private driver will meet you at O.R. Tambo International Airport and escort you to the hotel upon your arrival. Once you arrive, you will notice how the colors blur in Soweto on a tour of the town. Graffiti covers industrial towers, political murals fill crumbling walls, and everywhere you look there will be another hue. This is the township where Mandela lived and Robin Binks will be your storyteller as he recreates history and recalls his own experiences in a joyous style. Stroll down Vilakazi Street, past Desmond Tutu’s house to Mandela’s small red-brick residence, where a museum tells of the 1950s and 60s. During your visit to Soweto and you will not be able to escape the cultural interaction in this ever-vibrant township that has transformed from a place of grief and protest to a city of enterprise. The apartheid struggle was fought here, and you'll get a sense of where Mandela forged his early political ideals and allegiances as you discover places of the uprising that now celebrate South Africa’s future.
Johannesburg - Militant and Revolutionary: The Fight Against Apartheid
Cape Town - Perched Between Table Mountain and the Ocean
Cape Town - Prisoner and Negotiator: Exploring Robben Island and Groote Schuur
Cape Town - The Urban Legacy: Cape Town’s Racially Charged Past and Buoyant Present
Waterberg - Freedom: Big-Game Safari at Mandela’s Former Private Residence
Waterberg - Future: Mandela Center for Reconciliation and More Big-Game Safari
Johannesburg - Departure
- Explore Mandela’s early years with a tour through the Soweto township, which features his former residence and the streets where his political views were formed
- Discover stories and sites from the 1960s, when Mandela was arrested and imprisoned, sites that now bear witness to his message of reconciliation
- Tour the prison on Robben Island, where Mandela spent 18 years incarcerated, with the political prisoner's former guard, Christo Brand
- Journey through Cape Town using Mandela's life as a lens as you take in the colors and conflict of the past, along with the colors and charms of the present
- Recreate Mandela’s final steps to freedom by stepping out from Drakenstein Prison and visiting Groote Schuur, where the prisoner negotiated South Africa’s move from apartheid to democracy
- Escape to a private game reserve and stay in President Mandela’s former private residence to mix big-game safari with serene places of recollection
- Luxuriate in the unique attractions of Shambala Game Lodge, where elephants and lions roam the landscape through the day then you relax in the place where Mandela entertained political figures in the evening
- Explore Mandela’s legacy with South Africa’s best guides, including award-winning Robin Banks in Soweto and former District Six resident Yusuf Voterson
- Discover Cape Town's iconic highlights, from Table Mountain to Africa’s pre-eminent contemporary art museum, Zeitz MOCAA
$9,355 per person (excluding international flights)
- In-country transportation
- Some or all activities and tours
- Expert trip planning
- 24x7 support during your trip
Your final trip cost will vary based on your selected accommodations, activities, meals, and other trip elements that you opt to include.
Reviews of Zicasso's Referral Service
4.94 stars based on
Reviewed By Kathleen S.
Reviewed By Erica O.
Reviewed By Danielle B.
Reviewed By Cathy C.
Reviewed By Parham G.
Reviewed By Beth C.