Enjoy your own migration with a 9-day expedition across the plains of the Masai Mara riding alongside the vast herds and seeing the famous grasslands from your vantage point on horseback. Traveling across three private conservancies, this is an exclusive journey amongst big-game landscapes, one that celebrates the wild authenticity of the Mara and gets you up-close with a complete cast of wildlife. Enchanting and evocative, horseback is a unique way to experience the scale and detail of the Masai...
Ol Kinyei Conservancy – First Mara Impressions
First Masai Mara rides can be baffling as here you are, riding onto the plains and cantering alongside a 100-strong herd of wildebeest. Zebra huddles together, a black and white mass that includes a few hundred individuals. As you canter, you will scatter the Thomson's gazelle with hundreds of them gracefully skipping away. On the open plains, the visibility is exceptional. Dotted across the horizon you will see elephant herds, giraffe tower, and big collections of buffalo. The Masai Mara is big-game country and you will be right at the heart of it, riding a horse across the world-famous grasslands. It seems like the only thing you will not encounter are other people or vehicles. This horseback safari uses three private Masai Mara conservancies that carefully limit public access, so it will feel as if it is just you, the grasslands, and your horse.
Earlier in the day, you will land at Nairobi International Airport and be met by a representative for your transfer to Nairobi Wilson Airport. From here, a short domestic flight will take off and then land at the Siana airstrip in Ol Kinyei Conservancy. After a short transfer to your mobile camp, you will enjoy a late lunch and get a comprehensive safety briefing. Move next to the paddock where you will familiarize yourself with the horses and choose one for your expedition. Your afternoon ride will be focused on getting used to the horse and the environment, including getting accustomed to riding in big-game territory. Expect responsive, forward-moving horses who are well suited to an expedition.
Ol Kinyei Conservancy – Big Game of the Mara
Naboisho Conservancy – Full Day Riding
Naboisho Conservancy – Exclusive Riding Across the Mara Savanna
Mara North Conservancy – Crossing the Rolling Plains
Mara North Conservancy – Morning Game Drive
Mara North Conservancy – Galloping Across a Secret Valley
Mara North Conservancy – Exploring the Heart of the Mara
Nairobi – Final Morning Ride
- Spend nine days in your saddle riding across three private conservancies in with Masai Mara
- Gallop alongside huge herds of zebra, wildebeest, and Thomson's gazelle
- Ride across landscapes that are rich with elephant, giraffe, buffalo, and hippos
- Journey alongside Masai trackers to ensure that your route stays clear of big cats, although there is a thrill that comes with riding into unfenced big-cat territory
- Explore around your camp to take in the unique natural features and hangouts for different animals and other days, enjoy exhilarating expeditions between conservancies
- Sleep in luxurious mobile camps on remote plains, where crackling fires ward off hyenas and you will be fully immersed in the sensual beauty of the Mara
- Complete your expedition in the Mara North Conservancy, where a couple of morning game drives will bring intimacy with the big cats, along with a final day-long ride that will have you galloping across a secret valley near the Mara River
- Ride with exceptional guides and choose from an exquisite paddock of well-groomed and responsive horses
$13,099 per person (excluding international flights)
- In-country transportation
- Some or all activities and tours
- Expert trip planning
- 24x7 support during your trip
Your final trip cost will vary based on your selected accommodations, activities, meals, and other trip elements that you opt to include.
Reviews of Zicasso's Referral Service
4.9 stars based on
Reviewed By Kacey T.
Reviewed By Huan W.
Reviewed By Katharine B.
Reviewed By Linda G.
Reviewed By Paul G.
Reviewed By Erin P.