Experience Africa's greatest secret with this unique 10-day immersion in Botswana's zebra migration. Approximately 30,000 sets of hooves kick up dust and splash through the floodplains as they journey south in the early months of the year. Watch the action unfold from private verandahs, get up close with walking safaris, game drive past galloping herds, and discover the chaperoning big cats. But don't go telling everyone. This surreal phenomenon is blissfully devoid of other tourists.
Khwai Concession – First Glimpses at Botswana’s Abundant Wildlife
Botswana’s wilderness is best understood from the air. Gaze out of the window and look down on endless expanses of scorched savannah and lush waterways. Fly into Maun, central Botswana, and then take a light aircraft to Khwai Concession, starting at the northern edge of zebra land. During most of the year, the herds are spread over vast distances that include the Southern Okavango, southern stretches of Chobe National Park, and shriveling areas north of Nxai Pan. Settle into your luxury camp and begin the adventure with a game drive through untouched wilderness.
Meandering through the landscape is the Khwai River, a lavish oasis that attracts migrants from miles around. Wildebeest and zebra revel in this permanent water source, crowding around the banks and tentatively taking a drink. Lions lurk in the grassland, carefully approaching from a distance and causing immediate panic as the lookout alerts the herd. First game drives are always packed with excitement. Scenes from the documentaries come thick and fast, offering an intimate experience that is far more impressive in full color reality. And it’s not just the game drives. Return to camp and keep looking up from your dinner as a herd wanders past.
Khwai Concession – Game Drives
Khwai Concession – Lush Okavango Waterways
Nxai Pan – Huge Herds Marauding
Nxai Pan – Thrilling Proximity
Nxai Pan – Big Cat Action
Makgadikgadi Pans – Following the Zebra
Makgadikgadi Pans – Lost on the Shimmering Salt Pans
Makgadikgadi Pans – Final Safari Memories and Indelibly Dramatic Scenes
Maun – Farewell to Africa’s Best Kept Secret
- Experience a remarkable and rare phenomenon by following the zebra migration across three distinct wildlife reserves
- Spend three days on the edge of the Okavango, exploring floodplains and finding your own private piece of wilderness
- Marvel at the huge zebra herds that maraud across the Nxai Pan, the action often visible from your private verandah
- Ensure you get an array of angles by tailoring a wonderful combination of game drives, walking safaris, and even horseback safaris
- Witness authentic hunting scenes as a smorgasbord of predators accompany the 30,000 zebra on their annual journey
- Journey south to the stunning Makgadikgadi Pans and finish your trip where the zebra do, at the irrefutable Boteti River
- Quad bike across the shimmering Makgadikgadi Salt Pans and discover a lunar-like landscape that defies the eyes
$6,295 per person (excluding international flights)
- In-country transportation
- Some or all activities and tours
- Expert trip planning
- 24x7 support during your trip
Your final trip cost will vary based on your selected accommodations, activities, meals, and other trip elements that you opt to include.
Reviews of Zicasso's Referral Service
4.94 stars based on 302 reviews.
Reviewed By Bettisu C.
Reviewed By Janet W.
Reviewed By Evan G.
Reviewed By Marcia H.
Reviewed By Kathy K.
Reviewed By Richard A.