Few people have even heard of Zimbabwe’s side of the Greater Kruger ecosystem. It’s magnificent, brimming with rhinos and lions, combining savannah adventure and dramatic waterside scenes. It has the same wonderful wildlife as in neighboring South Africa, but with enhanced intimacy and without the crowds. This handcrafted safari celebrates this hidden wildlife world, combining enchanting Matobo Hills, luxurious Malilangwe, and incredibly unexplored Gonarezhou.
Matobo Hills National Park – Introductions to the Big Game
Strange piles of granite boulders cover the Matobo hills, their dusty red hues contrasting the verdant richness of the grass. Rocks perch at precarious angles, casting the humbling spell of nature unchecked. Colonialist Cecil Rhodes named these hills “World’s View,” an insight into how it enchanted even those who spoiled the natural environment (Rhodes is also buried here). Upon arrival into Harare, you’ll be greeted by a representative and assisted with a transfer to a light aircraft, for a flight into this striking and surreal landscape. Check into a thatched chalet and enjoy the wildlife that walks past, notably zebra and buffalo in large numbers. There are no lions or elephants here, so you’re allowed to walk freely in the surroundings. Such opportunity really helps you connect with the wild.
After lunch, you take an introductory game drive, exploring the dense concentration of big game in the center of the park. This area buzzes with life, white rhinos marching unceremoniously, springbok and kudu skipping past elegantly. On multiple occasions, you climb down from the safari vehicle and share the same space as these mammals, quickly understanding their size from ground level. It almost feels like you are one of the original colonialists, taking a walk over a strange landscape of exotic wildlife. After the drive, it’s a relaxed evening at the lodge, sitting around a roaring fire, and admiring animals silhouetted along the horizon.
Matobo Hills National Park – Exploring San Rock Art
Matobo Hills National Park – A Unique Day With Rhinos and Conservationists
Malilangwe Game Reserve – Private Big Five Safari
Malilangwe Game Reserve – Wildlife of the Greater Kruger
Malilangwe Game Reserve – Walking Safari and Nighttime Drives
Day 7 - 8
Gonarezhou National Park – Safari in Undocumented Gonarezhou
Gonarezhou National Park – Aerial Safari Imagery and Departure
- Safari in destinations that are far from the typical safari trail, despite having the same wildlife as the famous parks just across the border in South Africa
- Relax in the grandeur of Zimbabwe’s best private game reserve, savoring three days of luxury and effortless big game highlights in Malilangwe
- Explore one of Africa’s most unseen wildernesses, driving through Gonarezhou National Park, a vast savanna linked to South Africa’s Kruger
- Enjoy one of Africa’s unique black and white rhino experiences, including walking safaris and the guidance of conservationist experts
- Discover the messages left by San Bushmen with an inspiring journey through the rock art of Matobo Hills National Park
- Experience encounters with Africa’s most famous animals; the reserves packed with elephants and rhinos, lions and leopards
- Continually find a new angle as you mix daytime game drives with nighttime exploration and exhilarating walking safaris
- Soar across Zimbabwe by light aircraft, bringing a fabulous insight into the scale of the Greater Kruger and the size of the wilderness
$11,578 per person (excluding international flights)
- In-country transportation
- Some or all activities and tours
- Expert trip planning
- 24x7 support during your trip
Your final trip cost will vary based on your selected accommodations, activities, meals, and other trip elements that you opt to include.
Reviews of Zicasso's Referral Service
4.93 stars based on
Reviewed By greg s.
Reviewed By Michelle S.
Reviewed By catherine r.
Reviewed By Phyllis H.
Reviewed By Traci G.
Reviewed By Alan M.