You see Africa from a safari vehicle. You feel Africa when traveling on foot. South Luangwa is where the multi-day walking safari was born. And it’s where walking remains king. Every sound. Each subtle change in smell. The intangible atmosphere that rises from the ground. The tingling goosebumps. It’s a version of Africa that lives on in your soul, refusing to be captured in a mere photograph or tamed. This unique Zambia walking safari combines walking with luxurious camps for...
South Luangwa (Mfuwe) – Welcome to South Luangwa and Nighttime Drive
The plane touches down at Mfuwe Airport, and you can immediately sense the remote atmosphere of South Luangwa. A valley stretches out beyond the horizon, nothing artificial breaking the panorama. A rugged dirt road is the only sign that people have been here and it leads you beneath a woodland canopy to the Luangwa River, the lifeblood of the national park. Getting from home to South Luangwa will have required a couple of flight changes, so this first day is all about taking it easy. Check into your mid-sized luxury lodge on the eastern boundary of the park. If it’s November or December, then you’ll see dozens of elephants in and around the lodge, feasting on fallen wild mango fruit – sometimes they roam through the lodge buildings, a touching scene that epitomizes the intimacy of a South Luangwa safari.
This larger lodge is good for resting and recuperating, as well as satisfying your curiosity with dreamy views over the savannah. Take a siesta and wild sounds keep you company, perhaps the vibrant huff of a buffalo herd or the surreptitious chewing of a small puku herd close to your verandah. Make yourself comfortable and slowly succumb to the atmosphere, particularly noting how notions of time are dictated by the position of the sun rather than a watch. After dark, there’s the opportunity to head out on a nighttime game drive, an activity that further heightens your connection with the wilderness.
South Luangwa (Kuyenda) – Game Drives Around the Luangwa River
South Luangwa (Chamilandu) – Walking and Driving to Remote South Luangwa
South Luangwa (Chindeni) – The Exhilarating Walking Safari Begins
South Luangwa (Bilimungwe) – Onwards Past the Hippos and Elephants
South Luangwa (Kapamba) – Immersed in the Bushland
South Luangwa (Zungulila) – Continuing on Foot Through Big Game Paradise
Day 8 - 9
South Luangwa (Zungulila) – Walks and Drives in the Remotest Corners of South Luangwa
South Luangwa – Departure From Kapamba Airstrip
- Intimately explore one of Africa’s most untrammeled wildernesses by spending ten days in the southern reaches of South Luangwa National Park
- Truly immerse yourself in the wild with a 4-day walking expedition around the Luangwa and Kapamba Rivers, savoring the authenticity of being just another mammal on the landscape
- Combine walks and drives on the other five days of the safari, exploring new angles and uncovering the secrets of this big-game paradise
- Walk in style by staying at a handpicked selection of unique and luxurious camps, each offering a comforting opulence and staggering views over the water
- Discover the most remote corners of South Luangwa National Park, many miles from other visitors and far, far away from the noise of safari vehicles
- Safely encounter many of Africa’s giants on foot, expert guides getting you close to elephants, giraffes, buffalos, hippos, and even the trails left by the big cats
- Bask in the sense of exploration as the multi-day walks take you through different habitats and landscapes, a one-way journey that hugs the park’s legendary water sources
- Discover the true feeling of Africa as you immerse each of your senses in an intangible atmosphere that only a multi-day walking safari can provide
$5,975 per person (excluding international flights)
- In-country transportation
- Some or all activities and tours
- Expert trip planning
- 24x7 support during your trip
Your final trip cost will vary based on your selected accommodations, activities, meals, and other trip elements that you opt to include.
Reviews of Zicasso's Referral Service
4.93 stars based on
Reviewed By Philippe G.
Reviewed By Tee B.
Reviewed By Hillary M.
Reviewed By Jeff H.
Reviewed By Rita C.
Reviewed By Phyllis H.