This Northwest Argentina tour offers rugged landscapes and alluring villages, the grand facades of Spanish colonial buildings and the humble lives of the Gauchos. Northwest Argentina offers a glimpse of South America at its best. Come for the food, come for the tradition, come for the nightlife and the scenery and the people: whatever brings you here, you'll never want to leave.
Buenos Aires – Touch Down in South America
Begin your tour when you land on the outskirts of one of Latin America’s most spectacular cities, Buenos Aires. After being transferred to your luxurious hotel in the heart of the city, you’ll have the chance to take a guided tour of this magnificent metropolis. You can walk, drive, or even bike around this fascinating capital, taking in all of her unique and remarkable sights. Ogle at the incredible span of the Avenida 9 de Julio, the widest avenue in the world. See the impressive façade of Teatro Colon, Buenos Aires’s premier opera house featuring some of the best acoustics on the planet.
Have dinner at one of the local parrillas (grills) dotting the cityscape, where you’ll enjoy perfectly prepared Argentina beef and a sumptuous bottle of local Malbec in the presence of the vibrant nightlife of this one-of-a-kind city.
Buenos Aires – Exploring Argentina’s Capital
Buenos Aires – A Day as a Gaucho
Salta – The Colonial Treasures of Northwestern Argentina
Salta – Along the Incan Trail
El Cafayate – A Scenic Drive to Cafayate
El Cafayate – Going Gourmet in Salta Province
Tilcara – A Spectacular Drive Through Calchaquies Valleys
Tilcara – Touring Tilcara
Tilcara – Purmamarca and Jujuy’s Salinas Grandes
Buenos Aires – Returning to the Capital
Buenos Aires – Heading Home
- Discover all of the offerings of brilliant Buenos Aires, from the stately steps of the Casa Rosada to the tree-lined streets of Palermo, featuring delicious food, exciting activities and, of course, a performance of the tango, Argentina’s national dance
- Venture beyond Buenos Aires to experience life as a Gaucho at an authentic estancia in San Antonio de Areco, the heart of Argentina’s cowboy country
- Spend a day in Salta, where the colonial buildings that line the streets hearken back to the days of the Spanish Empire and meet the famous “Llullaillaco Children” at the MAAM
- Drive through some of northwest Argentina’s most spectacular landscapes, from the fantastic formations of the Quebrada de las Flechas to the incredible juxtaposition of color in the Calchaquies Valleys
- Tour three of Cafayate’s famous vineyards and wineries, complete with tastings, before visiting a local farm that makes some of the best goat cheese around, the perfect complement to a glass of Malbec or Torrontes
- Experience the breathtaking splendor of the Calchaquies Valleys and the unmatched geological formations that dot the landscape before visiting the charming towns of Tilcara and Humahuaca
- Stop by Purmamarca in the heart of the Quebrada de Humahuaca to gaze upon the indescribable beauty of the Hills of Seven Colors before casting your eye upon the stretching expanse of the Salinas Grandes
Argentina’s Northwest is an underexplored region of incredible wonder, filled with rich history and stunning scenery, the ancient strongholds of pre-Columbian peoples and the phenomenal colors of the collision of plains and mountains. This 12-day Northwest Argentina tour gives you a glimpse of all the sites that make the area truly special. From the Calchaquies Valleys to the vineyards of Cafayate, from the rising Hill of Seven Colors to the interminable reach of Jujuy’s Salinas Grandes and everywhere in between. In addition to the beauty, get to know the friendly and engaging locals anxious to share the splendor of their homeland with you.
Begin in Buenos Aires, the “Paris of Latin America,” a city filled with European sophistication and South American passion, home to the tango and some of the best steakhouses on the continent. Then turn Argentina’s untrammeled Northwest to experience the country filled with a deep sense of culture and heritage. Visit the colonial buildings on beautiful display in Salta and the millennia-old Pucara de Tilcara, the jagged cliffs of the Qubradad de las Flechas. The green meadows will envelop you at Cafayate. Every time you turn around you’ll encounter something new, something captivating, and something unimaginably spectacular.
Argentina is a country that is unlike any other, a nation filled with ardor and spirit and a love of good food, good wine, and good company. You’ll be awed by the scenery, moved by the culture, and swept off your feet by the fascinating people who call this place home. Whether you are a history buff or wine aficionado, a lover of nature or a total urbanite, this is one of those Argentina tours that will show you Argentina as you’ve never seen it before.
$3,895 per person (excluding international flights)
Your Zicasso trip is fully customizable, and this sample itinerary is a starting place for your travel plans. Actual costs are dynamic, and your selection of accommodations and activities, your season of travel, and other such variables will bring this budget guideline up or down. Throughout your planning experience with your Zicasso specialist, your itinerary is designed around your budget. You can book your trip when you are satisfied with every detail. Planning your trip with a Zicasso travel specialist is a free service.
- In-country transportation
- Some or all activities and tours
- Expert trip planning
- 24x7 support during your trip
Your final trip cost will vary based on your selected accommodations, activities, meals, and other trip elements that you opt to include.
Reviews of Zicasso's Referral Service
4.85 stars based on
Reviewed By Lisa Z.
Reviewed By Mary D.
Reviewed By Terry T.
Reviewed By David L.
Reviewed By Andrew N.
Reviewed By Martha G.