Zimbabwe has always offered exceptional big-game safari, with intimate encounters with black and white rhinos, thousands of elephants, and exclusive concessions and thrilling game walks. New luxury camps and private reserves have opened in the last few years, as the country’s safari industry has been re-energized. These highlights of Zimbabwe safaris celebrate...
Matetsi Private Game Reserve – Safari From Your Suite
In the Sotho language, Victoria Falls is known as Mosi-oa-Tunya, translated as “The Smoke that Thunders.” This name is stunningly appropriate, the roaring Zambezi River tumbling into a mist-filled chasm, sending clouds of condensation hundreds of meters into the air. Even from your lodge, 24 miles upriver, it’s possible to see the spray and hear the dramatic growl of the water. Matetsi Private Game Reserve has 17 miles of private river frontage and over 50,000 hectares of pristine wilderness. This safari oasis is within easy reach of the falls, yet fully surrounded by Zimbabwe’s four-legged wildlife.
You’re greeted at the airport and transferred to your river lodge, the only accommodation within the reserve. Safari is private here, and you watch animals directly from your river-facing suite; hippos quarreling, baboons playing, zebras grazing, and buffalos wandering as you dip into the private plunge pool on your verandah. There’s also a fabulous circular bath that looks out over the Zambezi, a lazy space for recovering from the flight. Your stay is flexible, and a variety of activities are included, dependent on your energy levels. Twice-daily game drives introduce the big game safari experience while sunrise and sunset boat cruises offer opportunities to explore the wilderness at a very relaxed pace. Walking safaris and canoeing are additional options.
Matetsi Private Game Reserve – Downriver to Victoria Falls, Upriver to the Hippos
Hwange National Park – Following the Elephants Through the Wilderness
Day 4 - 5
Hwange National Park – Decadent Big-Game Safari
Lake Kariba (Matusadona National Park) – Private Aerial Safari
Lake Kariba (Matusadona National Park) – Evocative Wildlife Encounters
Matobo Hills National Park – Walking Amongst Black and White Rhinos
Matobo Hills National Park – Intrigue Within World’s View
Malilangwe Wildlife Reserve – The Opulence of a Private Zimbabwean Safari
Malilangwe Wildlife Reserve – A Full Day in Southern Africa’s Gonarezhou National Park
Malilangwe Wildlife Reserve – Relaxing Final Day of Luxury Safari
Johannesburg – Departure
- Celebrate the revitalization of Zimbabwean safari by staying in a handcrafted collection of new boutique properties, including opulent camps surrounded by marauding elephants
- Uncover the intimacy of safari in two private concessions, where the wildlife wanders right past your suite, and the game viewing is as easy as it comes
- Explore the thrilling enormity of the Zimbabwean wilderness with three nights in Hwange National Park, where thousands of elephants gather at waterholes, and you’re never far from lions
- Hop across the country on a combination of scheduled and chartered light aircraft flights, touching down on remote airstrips after an astonishing aerial flight
- Walk amongst black and white rhinos in Matobo Hills National Park, the new and exclusive safari addition to a landscape that Cecil Rhodes nicknamed “World’s View”
- Start this highlights of Zimbabwe safari in Matetsi Private Game Reserve, where hippos and buffalo join you just a few miles upriver from Victoria Falls
- Escape onto the shores of Lake Kariba for adventurous safari mornings in Matusadona National Park and languid afternoons on the water
- Malilangwe Wildlife Reserve has just established itself as Zimbabwe’s premier private safari destination; three days here provides the opulent final stop on this 13-day safari
- At Malilangwe, take the option to spend a day in the neighboring vast and unexplored Gonarezhou National Park
- Get up close and personal with some of Africa’s rarest animals, including black rhinos, brown hyenas, and wild dogs
$11,045 per person (excluding international flights)
- In-country transportation
- Some or all activities and tours
- Expert trip planning
- 24x7 support during your trip
Your final trip cost will vary based on your selected accommodations, activities, meals, and other trip elements that you opt to include.
Reviews of Zicasso's Referral Service
4.93 stars based on 375 reviews.
Reviewed By Janet W.
Reviewed By Bettisu C.
Reviewed By Kathy K.
Reviewed By Brenda W.
Reviewed By Marcia H.
Reviewed By Linda R.