Zambia and Botswana radiate authenticity and celebrate the remarkable diversity of big-game Africa. This handcrafted safari reveals the best of both countries, starting in Zambia with drives and walks on the South Luangwa savannah, then canoeing and exploring the Lower Zambezi wetland. Stop at Victoria Falls, then follow the elephants into Botswana and the Chobe woodland, before completing the journey on the world’s largest salt pan, guided by Zu/’hoasi Bushmen from the Kalahari.
South Luangwa National Park – Into the Big-Game Wilderness
An elephant wanders past, trunk swinging, tusks curling. Thornicroft’s giraffes are half-hidden by the nearby trees, their heads poking above the canopy, and a zebra herd is nearby, as you wait for the rumble of hoofs that accompanies their gallop across the savanna. It is midday, and you have only just landed, but already you have seen so many of the animals that make Zambia special. On the drive from the airstrip to your camp, you might see 10 different species, the giants accompanied by the rare antelopes that thrive in this remote world. You land at Lusaka International Airport and are assisted onto a light aircraft bound for South Luangwa, the country’s flagship park.
Settle into the camp, and get accustomed to the wild animals roaming past. Even when you are reading a book on the veranda, it is good to have a camera on hand, as baboons swing through the camp and the odd hippo grunts in the river below. In the afternoon, you take a first full game drive in the park, exploring the landscape close to the Luangwa River. Antelope come to drink, the herds sipping away as sentinels keep guard with their ears pinned skyward. Follow the prints you see in the sand, to a pride of lions, majestic creatures hanging out beneath an ebony tree. At first, it seems they do not recognize your presence. Keep watching, and the lions start to move, elegantly wandering down to the banks to inspect their dinner menu. Return to the camp at dusk, and spend your first night beneath the stars, a floodlight illuminating the animals that drink from the river below.
South Luangwa National Park – Game Drives
South Luangwa National Park – A Beautiful Connection on Africa’s Premier Walking Safari
Lower Zambezi National Park – Immersed in the Wetlands
Day 5 - 6
Lower Zambezi National Park – Thrilling Big-Game Safari
Livingstone – A Day with Victoria Falls
Livingstone – Relaxed Free Day on the Banks of the Zambezi
Day 9 - 10
Chobe National Park – Following the Elephants into the Forest
Makgadikgadi Pans National Park – Sublime Aerial Safari across Woodland, Delta, and Desert
Makgadikgadi Pans National Park – Adventures on the World’s Largest Salt Pan
Makgadikgadi Pans National Park – A Day with Zu/’hoasi Bushmen
Maun – Departure
- Explore the rich bounty of one of Africa’s greatest savannas, leopards and wild dogs just the start of the encounters in Zambia’s South Luangwa National Park
- Uncover the secrets of the wetlands by canoeing into the narrow canals of Lower Zambezi National Park, then continue the adventure with game drives and walks
- Immerse yourself in thick woodland and join the 100,000 elephants that roam in and around Botswana’s Chobe National Park
- Surround yourself with the silence of the world’s largest salt pans, the Makgadikgadi, where you discover the beauty of desert-adapted species
- Feel the power of Victoria Falls, and spend two days relaxing on the banks of the Zambezi River, an idyllic interlude to the safari adventure
- Tune your senses into the drama of nature with a walking safari in South Luangwa, the park that pioneered walking safaris in Africa
- Learn how to track wild animals and survive in the bush by spending a day with Zu/’hoasi Bushmen
- Continually adjust the safari program to your interests, as this 2-week adventure incorporates game drives, nighttime drives, big-game walks, and various activities on the water
$12,553 per person (excluding international flights)
- In-country transportation
- Some or all activities and tours
- Expert trip planning
- 24x7 support during your trip
Your final trip cost will vary based on your selected accommodations, activities, meals, and other trip elements that you opt to include.
Reviews of Zicasso's Referral Service
4.92 stars based on 124 reviews.
Reviewed By brad s.
Reviewed By patricia g.
Reviewed By Michael P.
Reviewed By Eliezer B.
Reviewed By Bob V.
Reviewed By Kathy T.