After the popularity of the Lord of the Rings films, New Zealand has become a land of myth and legend. This 18-day tour of both the North and South Islands will allow you to follow in the footsteps of the characters and immerse yourself in the settings of the films' most memorable scenes. By the end of the tour, you will have an entirely new appreciation for this unparalleled landscape and the films that helped popularize it.
Auckland – The Trail of the Fellowship
Perched between land and sea, Auckland is an excellent ambassador of the abundance of natural beauty, beaches, and woodlands that you can find throughout New Zealand. With over 800 national parks, you will have plenty of options to explore this magnificent country. Upon your arrival, a transfer will be waiting at Auckland's main international airport, ready to convey you to the city center and your conveniently located accommodation. The city will be yours to enjoy the many shops, cafes, and award-winning restaurants awaiting you.
Auckland – Savoring Your First Full Day
Lake Rotorua – Exploring a Scale Film Set
Lake Rotorua – The Lake's Volcanic Origins
Waitomo – A Subterranean Excursion
Tongariro – A Bird's-Eye View of Mt. Doom
Wellington – The Country's Southernmost Capital
Wellington – A Lord of the Rings Tour
Picton – In the Wake of the Hobbit
Christchurch – Surveying the Sea
Christchurch – Visiting the Heart of Edoras
Mount Cook – Chasing Glaciers
Queenstown – Plunging Into Adventure
Queenstown – Flying Over Middle Earth
Queenstown – The Rhythm of the Dart River
Franz Josef Township – The Shadow of Ancient Glaciers
Christchurch – Through New Zealand's Alps
Christchurch – Saying Goodbye to Middle Earth
- Stroll along the scenic boulevards and lanes of Auckland, where you can partake in outstanding adventures
- Enjoy a food and wine excursion on the nearby island of Waiheke to productive vineyards and olive orchards that add their texture to the lush and fertile landscape
- Plunge into the hallowed footpaths of the Shire on a trip to Matamata and the film set of Hobbiton
- Witness the volcanic legacy of New Zealand, which has been left by millions of years of geologic activity
- Immerse yourself in the depths of the Footwhistle Glowworm Cave and search out these incandescent inhabitants of the deep
- Soar through the skies over New Zealand's oldest national park on an aerial tour of Mt. Tongariro, the site of the famous troll and campfire scene in Lord of the Rings
- Bask in the ambient calm and serenity of Wellington, where beautiful vistas of the gulf and a variety of filming artifacts will be yours to discover
- Paddle your way along the Pelorus River during a kayaking expedition that will allow you to recreate the thrilling barrel scene from the Hobbit
- Set off in search of the Riders of Rohan on a day trip from Christchurch to the Mt. Potts high country, which was the setting for the fictional Edoras
- Take to the waves on a jet boat ride along the picturesque Dart River, where the rugged mountains and crystal-clear water never fail to impress
$4,945 per person (excluding international flights)
- In-country transportation
- Some or all activities and tours
- Expert trip planning
- 24x7 support during your trip
Your final trip cost will vary based on your selected accommodations, activities, meals, and other trip elements that you opt to include.
Reviews of this Travel Agency
4.63 stars based on 35 reviews.
Reviewed By Marianne D.
Reviewed By Cornelia D.
Reviewed By Nehal P.
Reviewed By Layla S.
Reviewed By Gary E.
Reviewed By Sonja S.