The Zulu Kingdom opens its heart on this evocative two week itinerary. Landscapes provide the drama as you self drive into dramatic mountains, pristine Indian Ocean beaches, immense natural water worlds, and untamed safari wildernesses. Then its residents lay on the charm, from thousands of white rhinos to traditionally dressed warriors, long-tusked elephants to hippos wading beside your canoe.
Natal Midlands - Drive Into the Lush Natal Midlands
After arriving in Johannesburg International Airport, you'll catch a connecting flight to Durban where your rental car awaits. A long ascent takes you away from the coast and into the fertile Natal Midlands, an area that almost resembles Italian Tuscany at first glance. Rich green hills are punctuated by vineyards and old farmhouses, while an unmistakably fresh smell filters through the car window. But you're in Africa. Zulu locals wave hello on winding country roads, dressed in inconceivably colorful clothes. Stunning rivers and lakes roll past as you keep driving uphill, glimpses of the dramatic scenery that will accompany your fourteen day trip. And then you ascend to the elegant boutique hotel, a living ode to old-world charm with sweeping views over the lush Natal Midlands.
Day 2 - 3
Ukhahlamaba Drakensberg Mountains - Rock Art and Dramatic Views
The Evocative Battlefields of the Zulu Kingdom
Day 5 - 6
Safari Adventure in Hluhluwe-iMfolozi National Park
Day 7 - 8
iSimangaliso Wetland Park - The Remote Beauty of Kosi Bay
Day 9 - 10
Tembe Elephant Park - Africa's Giants
Day 11 - 12
St Lucia - Exploring the Wetlands
Ballito - Soaking up the Sun on the Dolphin Coast
Ballito - Return to Durban
- Come face to face with Africa's largest elephants, most of them frolicking in waterholes just meters from your face, tusks almost as long as their trunks. Tembe Elephant Park also offers the Big Five and a delightful supporting cast
- Savor the dramatic scenery of the uKhahlamb Drakensberg Mountains, the peaks rising almost vertically and towering over a serene land of hiking trails and fascinating San rock art
- Drive through the world's greatest white rhino habitat, almost 10% of the planet's population living in the Hluhluwe-iMfolozi National Park. They're not alone, and the full Big Five will keep you company on a spectacular two day South Africa safari experience
- Lose yourself in the immense water world of iSimangaliso, a pristine habitat of lakes, hidden beaches, sandy forest, and hippo covered estuaries
- Get guided through the evocative Zulu battlefields, listening to remarkable tales and sensing the secrets that fill ancient forts and eerie graveyards
- Relax on the deserted beaches of St Lucia and Ballito on the Dolphin Coast, or wander into the nature reserves that surround this idyllic strip of Indian Ocean coastline
$7,275 per person (excluding international flights)
Your Zicasso trip is fully customizable, and this sample itinerary is a starting place for your travel plans. Actual costs are dynamic, and your selection of accommodations and activities, your season of travel, and other such variables will bring this budget guideline up or down. Throughout your planning experience with your Zicasso specialist, your itinerary is designed around your budget. You can book your trip when you are satisfied with every detail. Planning your trip with a Zicasso travel specialist is a free service.
- In-country transportation
- Some or all activities and tours
- Expert trip planning
- 24x7 support during your trip
Your final trip cost will vary based on your selected accommodations, activities, meals, and other trip elements that you opt to include.
Reviews of Zicasso's Referral Service
4.94 stars based on
Reviewed By Hamish K.
Reviewed By Lauren G.
Reviewed By George L.
Reviewed By Edward S.
Reviewed By Philippe G.
Reviewed By Kathleen S.