The rustic savanna and the lush wetlands are two iconic landscapes of diverse charms. One is open and expressive, filled with the drama of the Big Five. The other is serene and surreal, as time in a canoe reveals the wildlife of the water. By combining the Kruger with the iSimangaliso wetlands on this safari, you will experience these exquisite contrasts and immerse yourself in two of Africa's wildest environments. Think beyond the Big Five and watch the wildlife interact as nature unfolds for...
Balule Nature Reserve – Serene Introductions
A lioness wanders along the Olifants River, sipping serenely as the rest of the pride comes into view. Along the horizon, there are elephants, an incalculable number gracing the trees. Wildebeest were here, but they've quickly scampered away, leaving behind a trail of dust. It's an iconic safari introduction, and you're not even on a game drive; you're watching the scene from the lodge's verandah. Balule is a private reserve on the western fringes of Kruger National Park; it's unfenced, and thousands of mammals roam freely, attracted by the bounty of the Olifants River, which crisscrosses through the heart of the reserve. By watching the river, you can see much of the enchantment, your private verandah offering an energizing place to relax after the flight. To reach Balule, it's a short domestic flight from Johannesburg to Hoedspruit, then a sublime transfer through the rhino-dappled savanna.
In the afternoon you will explore, a game drive weaving past the paw prints along the river. Water is king in the bush, even if the landscape doesn't always show evidence of providing it. By taking a game drive in the vicinity of the Olifants, you capture the drama of Kruger life: a tower of giraffe seeking solace, antelope horns clashing on the banks, prints left behind by a solitary leopard, eagles swooping above the remains of a carcass. It's the prime safari introduction, a chance to move slowly and encounter many of the famous animals. Rhinos gracefully wander past, elephant herds splash in the shallows, and you quickly discover many of the famous sights.
Balule Nature Reserve – Walking Safari and Nighttime Driving
Sabi Sands – Exploring the Scale of Kruger
Day 4 - 5
Sabi Sands – So Much More Than the Big Five
iSimangaliso Wetland Park – The World Heritage Wetlands of South Africa
iSimangaliso Wetland Park – Intimate Wildlife Experiences
Day 8 - 9
St Lucia – Sublime White Sand and Indian Ocean Waters
St Lucia – Final Safari Memories
St Lucia – Departure
- Explore the rugged savannah and bushland of Kruger National Park, a classic African landscape that teems with the continent's great land animals
- Lose yourself in the World Heritage wetlands of iSimangaliso, where Africa's water-loving animals bask around lagoons and woodland
- Explore nature's untouched realm from many angles, including a walking safari, nighttime game drive, canoe safari, and sunset dining cruise
- Discover the intimacy of two private Kruger reserves; start in the serene and surreal Balule, then absorb the abundance of Sabi Sands
- Spend a day in the heart of Kruger National Park to admire its phenomenal size and diversity of wildlife
- Spot the Big Five, again, and again
- Discover that the safari experience is about so much more than the famous five, with dozens of species interacting in front of your lodge balcony
- Slumber on a tropical Indian Ocean beach for two days and reenergize after your safari adventure
- Complete the vacation with a relaxed day in Hluhluwe-iMfolozi, Africa's oldest protected reserve
$10,720 per person (excluding international flights)
- In-country transportation
- Some or all activities and tours
- Expert trip planning
- 24x7 support during your trip
Your final trip cost will vary based on your selected accommodations, activities, meals, and other trip elements that you opt to include.
Reviews of Zicasso's Referral Service
4.94 stars based on
Reviewed By greg s.
Reviewed By Kandace B.
Reviewed By Hamish K.
Reviewed By Paula Z.
Reviewed By Debbie W.
Reviewed By Josh M.