From soaring peaks to sapphire waters, modern marvels and scenic splendor, the Alpine countries of Italy, Switzerland and Austria all have something special. City slickers will love the fine art and high culture of timeless metropolises like Innsbruck and Vienna, and rugged outdoorsmen will enjoy their journeys through Chur and Lugano. Be you a hill climber or art critic, friend of nature or fan of fashion, this unforgettable vacation is made just for you.
Varenna - Arrival in the Alps
Your once-in-a-lifetime trek through the enchanting countries of the Alps begins on the outskirts of Milan, where a private driver will be waiting to transfer you to the shores of beautiful and serene Lake Como and the lakeside town of Varenna, where you’ll spend the next three nights in incomparable scenic splendor in luxurious accommodation. This family-run boutique hotel features eight chic and comfortable rooms with private balconies affording unmatched views of the breathtaking blue expanse of Lake Como, and the hotel’s restaurant is one of the best in the area, with traditional Varennese fare and the finest tables to revel in the glory of an Italian sunset.
The afternoon can be spent exploring the town of Varenna, where the narrow and winding streets are fringed with stirring 19th-century villas, offering a bustling foreground to the awesome rise of the towering Alps beyond. Walk the delightful promenade along the lakeside, where you’ll find charming cafes and boutiques as well as spectacular views of the surrounding countryside. Don’t be surprised if you spend most of your time at a local cafe, sipping an espresso or enjoying a cone of gelato while gazing upon the splendid scene.
Varenna - On the Shores of Northern Italy’s Best-Loved Lake
Varenna - A Day of Cruising Lake Como
Lugano - Leaving Italy, Entering Switzerland
Lugano - Exploring Every Inch of Lake Lugano
Chur - A Scenic Train Ride Through the Sensational Swiss Alps
Chur - Spending a Day in Switzerland’s Oldest City
Innsbruck - Turning to Austria
Innsbruck - Hitting the Highlights in Innsbruck
Salzburg - Austrian Charm and Austrian Culture
Salzburg - Spending Some Time in the Birthplace of Mozart
Vienna - Entering Austria’s Cosmopolitan Capital
Vienna - Touring the Village of Vienna
Vienna - Departing Central Europe
- Hit the highlights of Alpine Italy as you take three days to enjoy the charms of Lake Como, from the elegant towns that line its shores to the awe-inspiring sunsets that light the land and turns the lake to fire
- Take a scenic train ride past the Italian border and into Switzerland, where you’ll explore the environs of Lake Lugano and its eponymous shore side town, the new Swiss hotspot for athletes and celebrities
- Ride through the mountains in truly high fashion on board the Albula and Bernina lines of the Rhaetian Railway, taking you through the most picturesque parts of the Swiss Alps
- Enter Austria at Innsbruck, one of the great cities in winter sports and site of some of the most impressive architecture and charming cultural traditions in the country
- Visit Salzburg, the birthplace of Mozart, the colossal Salzburg Cathedral, and the imposing ramparts of the Hohensalzburg Fortress
- End your adventure in Vienna, the cosmopolitan capital of Austria and one of the great cities of Central Europe, home to the soaring spire of St. Stephen’s Cathedral, the Gothic towers of the Rathaus, and one of the best classical music scenes in the world
The Alps are the literal highpoints of Europe, so majestic and memorable that they have become a byword for scenic mountain landscapes. This two week tour will show you the best of the Alps from three completely unique perspectives, as you’ll encounter these my peaks on Italian, Swiss and Austrian soil. If you’ve ever longed to discover the iconic backbone of Europe, this is the trip of your dreams.
Enjoy the more luxurious side of the mountains as you spend three days on the bucolic shores of Italy’s Lake Como, taking the spectacular scenery and the elegant lakeside villages like Bellagio and Varenna. Head north to Switzerland, where you’ll walk the streets of the country’s oldest city at Chur and revel in the untrammeled grandeur of nature that encircles the village of Lugano. And revel in the glories of the old Empire as you visit some of Austria’s greatest cities, from the Golden Roof of Innsbruck to the Town Hall of Vienna to the streets of Salzburg, filled with the tunes of Mozart, Austria’s favorite son.
This is an adventure for mountain climbers and art enthusiasts, a tour designed for everyone from gourmands to grizzled nature-goers. It’s filled with arresting culture and singular scenery, replete with breathtaking buildings and charming cafes, characterized by an easy-going charm and engaging spirit. This is the Alps at their very best, and it’s time for you to make their acquaintance.
$4,545 per person (excluding international flights)
Your Zicasso trip is fully customizable, and this sample itinerary is a starting place for your travel plans. Actual costs are dynamic, and your selection of accommodations and activities, your season of travel, and other such variables will bring this budget guideline up or down. Throughout your planning experience with your Zicasso specialist, your itinerary is designed around your budget. You can book your trip when you are satisfied with every detail. Planning your trip with a Zicasso travel specialist is a free service.
- In-country transportation
- Some or all activities and tours
- Expert trip planning
- 24x7 support during your trip
Your final trip cost will vary based on your selected accommodations, activities, meals, and other trip elements that you opt to include.
Reviews of Zicasso's Referral Service
4.89 stars based on 4814 reviews.
Reviewed By Jim M.
Reviewed By Jane S.
Reviewed By Megan D.
Reviewed By Alice J.
Reviewed By Anna H.
Reviewed By DeAnn B.