Encounter a side of unseen Italy on this eight-day Gastronomic Traditions of Italy Tour in undisturbed Abruzzo. Medieval castles overlook valleys of lush vines. The Apennine Mountains form extraordinary backdrops to historic hillside towns. Fishermen use ancient techniques along the coastline. Farms produce an abundance of flavorful cheeses, and vineyards make inspiring wines. Your custom-tailored Italy tour immerses you in historical culture where the mountains meet the eastern shore.
Ortona – Heart of Abruzzo
Abruzzo is dramatic in both scenery and culture. Mountains rise and fall, creating a rugged landscape leading to lush prairies. The turquoise water of the Adriatic Sea sparkles like a gem against the sandy shores of the region. Ancient forests hide medieval towers. Isolated hilltop towns overlook emerald vineyards. You will arrive in Rome, where your private transfer greets you at Leonardo da Vinci-Fiumicino Airport.
Olive trees bloom against the backdrop of Apennine Mountains. Sheep and cows graze on vast verdant farmland. In the town of Ortona, you settle into a lavish hotel overlooking the white sand of the Adriatic coast. The town’s origins date back to the 10th century BC as a Frentani settlement. The 15th-century Castle Aragonese towers over the sea, built on a cliff at an altitude of 236 feet. The promenade along the city’s coastline provides an exceptional view of the castle and the horizon beyond.
Ortona – Grasping at Olives
Pescara – Images of the Abruzzo People
Chieti – Abruzzo Like a Local
Chieti – A Taste of Culture
Guardiagrele – Into the Hills
Roccascalegna – A Cheesy Encounter
Rome – Shepherd’s Way
- Interact with local farmers of Abruzzo, with a cheese-making tutorial followed by a cheese tasting
- Indulge in the specific tastes of Abruzzo with a private cooking session taught by a local chef using only regional ingredients and traditional flavors
- Experience the process of winemaking during a harvesting tour of a traditional Abruzzo vineyard, where you can participate in the harvest
- Explore the ravine basin en route to the preserved remains of a medieval monastery situated along the layers of the bordering cliffs
- Discover the traditional methods of producing olive oil during your visit to a celebrated olive grove farm
- Revel in the white sand beaches and clear turquoise water of the Adriatic Sea along the Trabocchi Coast
$2,859 per person (excluding international flights)
Your Zicasso trip is fully customizable, and this sample itinerary is a starting place for your travel plans. Actual costs are dynamic, and your selection of accommodations and activities, your season of travel, and other such variables will bring this budget guideline up or down. Throughout your planning experience with your Zicasso specialist, your itinerary is designed around your budget. You can book your trip when you are satisfied with every detail. Planning your trip with a Zicasso travel specialist is a free service.
- In-country transportation
- Some or all activities and tours
- Expert trip planning
- 24x7 support during your trip
Your final trip cost will vary based on your selected accommodations, activities, meals, and other trip elements that you opt to include.
Reviews of Zicasso's Referral Service
4.89 stars based on
Reviewed By Teresa D.
Reviewed By Joann G.
Reviewed By Sharon C.
Reviewed By Kathryn D.
Reviewed By Emily H.
Reviewed By Marisa Q.