This tour of New Zealand’s South Island introduces you to the natural splendor that this country has to offer. Drive from the largest cities, through the countryside, over soaring mountain ranges, and by awe-inspiring glaciers. Your days of driving will be interspersed with cruises over alpine lakes and adrenaline-inducing activities. Experience the charm that New Zealand provides its visitors.
Christchurch - Arrival and City Tour
Your two-week tour of New Zealand’s South Island will begin as you touch down in Christchurch. Your private transfer will be waiting for you as you pass through customs and will take you directly to your luxurious accommodation. You will then have the opportunity to explore this lush city that is experiencing a transformation after a devastating earthquake in 2011. We recommend taking the hop-on/hop-off bus to view its major attractions or riding the tram to the Botanical Gardens and Transitional Cathedral.
Christchurch - Free Day of Exploration
Mt. Cook Village - View Glaciers by Car and Boat
Dunedin - Trade Glaciers for New Zealand’s 2nd Largest City
Dunedin - Wildlife and Castle on Otago Peninsula
Te Anau - Glowworm Caves
Milford Sound - Milford Sound Cruise
Queenstown - BBQ Dinner in the Country
Queenstown - Free Day in New Zealand’s Adventure Capital
Franz Josef Glacier - New Zealand’s Highest Road
Franz Josef Glacier - Marvel at Franz Josef Glacier
Christchurch - Tranz Alpine Train to Christchurch
Christchurch - Final Day in New Zealand
- View the rebuilding city of Christchurch after a gondola ride to the rim of an extinct volcano that overlooks the entire city
- Cruise across a lake that was formed by the Tasman Glacier and explore the inaccessible nooks and crannies of the glacier
- Venture to the Otago Peninsula to catch a glimpse of New Zealand’s endemic species and climb the parapets of New Zealand’s only castle
- Drift along the underground rivers of Te Anau’s caves to view the famous glowworms against a backdrop of whirlpools, rocks, and waterfalls
- Journey across Milford Sound on a ship and take in the astonishing mountain scenery, cascading waterfalls, and luscious rainforests
- Delight in a local dinner prepared on a New Zealand farm outside of Queenstown as the sun sets over the soaring peaks
- Traverse the Crown Range and drive on New Zealand’s highest road, weaving your way through the peaks and valleys to reach Franz Josef Glacier
- Take to the skies in a helicopter over Fox Glacier and Franz Josef Glacier before touching down on a glacier to view a frozen river
- Cross the island on the Tranz Alpine Scenic Train, which is typically referred to as one of the most beautiful train journeys in the world
$9,095 per person (excluding international flights)
- In-country transportation
- Some or all activities and tours
- Expert trip planning
- 24x7 support during your trip
Your final trip cost will vary based on your selected accommodations, activities, meals, and other trip elements that you opt to include.
Reviews of this Travel Agency
4.75 stars based on
Reviewed By Denise R.
Reviewed By Jonalyn A.
Reviewed By Rene R.
Reviewed By Kyle D.
Reviewed By Diane M.
Reviewed By Jay H.