No two primate encounters are ever the same. Journey into Uganda’s remote jungle and the intimacy is exquisite, the world’s rarest primates surrounding you on all sides. You will have unparalleled experiences with mountain gorillas, golden monkeys, mangabeys, and rare chimpanzees walking upright. This handcrafted safari combines the country's exclusive primate highlights in just one week of luxury travel, bringing intense and evocative scenes with the jungle’s remote inhabitants.
Kibale National Park – Into a Rainforest of Mangabeys and Monkeys
Expressions of color greet you at Kibale National Park, the conflicting greens of the Congo Basin enveloping you on all sides. It feels instantly exotic, the sights accompanied by strange sounds and lush smells. Four grey-cheeked mangabeys casually swing past, unperturbed by your presence. Colobus monkeys watch you with an air of serenity, peering down from the canopy’s highest branches. The lodge is deep inside this equatorial rainforest, blending into its surroundings with a rustic elegance. From your balcony, you watch and listen, scanning the trees for some of Africa’s rarest primates. There are a dozen primate species to find here, along with a smattering of antelopes and other four-legged forest dwellers.
Earlier in the day, you land at Entebbe International Airport and transfer onto a domestic flight to Kibale, a light aircraft taking you westwards across open, ochre-colored landscapes. Volcanoes become prominent on the horizon as the plane descends into the forest, where it is a short transfer to the lodge within the national park. Your first afternoon in Uganda is at your leisure, and some short walking trails around the lodge can be accessed with a local guide and are perfect for getting your eyes and legs accustomed to this striking rainforest. Drinks and snacks are served at the lodge before sunset, followed by a luxurious dining experience, both in terms of the cuisine and the unusual sounds heard nearby.
Kibale National Park – Trekking with Kibale’s Chimpanzees
Semuliki National Park – Rare Animals of the Savannah and the Forest
Semuliki National Park – Second Chimpanzee Trek
Bwindi Impenetrable Forest National Park – Volcanic Mountains and Golden Monkey Trekking
Bwindi Impenetrable Forest National Park – Unique Gorilla Trekking
Bwindi Impenetrable Forest National Park – Intimate Encounters with a Second Gorilla Troop
Entebbe – Departure
- Journey into Bwindi Impenetrable Forest and spend an hour with a unique gorilla troop, admiring all their charms from just seven meters away
- Go gorilla trekking a second time, spending an hour with a different gorilla troop, savoring the intimacy of an encounter with the world’s largest primates
- Trek through the Kibale Forest to find one of the world’s largest habituated chimpanzee troops, surrounding yourself with their complex social interactions
- Explore the under-explored Semuliki National Park, where chimpanzees walk upright in forest clearings, and there’s a brilliant intensity to every encounter
- Search for golden monkeys, another of the unusual primates found in the forests of western Uganda
- Be surrounded by endangered monkeys and mangabeys, admiring the mischievous expressions of primates you will struggle to see outside Uganda
- Feast your eyes on Uganda with unique aerial safaris over the volcanic forests
$10,603 per person (excluding international flights)
- In-country transportation
- Some or all activities and tours
- Expert trip planning
- 24x7 support during your trip
Your final trip cost will vary based on your selected accommodations, activities, meals, and other trip elements that you opt to include.
Reviews of Zicasso's Referral Service
4.84 stars based on
Reviewed By Jan P.
Reviewed By Paul G.
Reviewed By Robert H.
Reviewed By Joe R.
Reviewed By Daniel S.
Reviewed By carmen c.