Enthusiasts for natural wonders will not be disappointed by the diversity of habitats, ecosystems, and climates available from January through March. This time of year hits the heart of Costa Rica's dry season and Scandinavia's winter wonderland, for instance.
You've probably thought of plenty of places already, but do they include these top three choices?
- Costa Rica, Central America offers wildlife, lush rainforests, and beaches with mangrove swamps in Manuel Antonio National Park as well as a living volcano that nourishes rejuvenating hot springs available for bathing.
- Indonesia, Asia enables visitors to explore underwater wildlife in reefs, such as tropical corals and exotic fish, through Bunaken Marine Park, located on North Sulawesi, Indonesia, Indonesia's fourth largest island between Borneo and Malukka.
- Norway, Europe provides international film and music festivals along with snow-filled mountains, alps, fjords, and a gateway to the famed Northern Lights in Tromso, Norway.
- Antarctica reveals a bracing and chilly ecosystem; in this iceberg-filled wilderness, you see penguins march and whales breach in what looks like a "salute" in the Antarctic Peninsula.
- Devon, England, Europe offers a more refined opportunity to enjoy local nature, such as bird watching, before retiring for cream tea in a quaint and cozy cottage.
- Sea of Cortez, Mexico, Central America offers a gulf coast and relaxing ways to explore the warm waters, such as swimming with manta rays and sea lions or going sea kayaking.
- Ningaloo, Western Australia, Australasia allows visitors a rare glimpse of exotic, vibrantly colored marine life in one of the world's largest fringe reefs where the uninitiated can meet 18 meter whale sharks, swim amidst the pink glow of millions of coral eggs, and luxuriate in warm "bathtub" water.
- Sarawak, Borneo, Asia immerses you in the rainforest world of intelligent, captivating reddish-haired orangutans who can only be found elsewhere in the wild in Sumatra.
- Isla Fernando de Noronha, Brazil, South America reveals a tropical, volcanic archipelago with diving pleasures combined with the infamous Latin hospitality.
Note: Special thanks to Eyewitness Travel’s photo-filled book, Travel Where to Go When for my daydreaming fodder. Some of these destinations may not currently be available as trips through Zicasso due to its stringent criteria for selection of premium, qualified travel companies.