Best of Luxury Italy Travel
Italy Attractions & Things to Do
Best Time to Visit Italy
Because Italy extends north to south in its Western Europe location, the weather can vary significantly depending on where you want to travel. The rule of thumb sets early spring and autumn as the best seasons to visit Italy, but you can pinpoint more specific times for Italy tours by utilizing the following list.
• The Alpennines and Alps – Because of high mountain elevations, the winters are cold and extended which makes for great skiing conditions. Summers are normally cool and quite short so plan accordingly. The alpine ski season generally lasts from December to April.
• Northern Italy – Spring is an incredible time to visit such northern cities as Venice, Milan, Verona and Bologna. Summers can be quite hot and humid, but are often offset by refreshing breezes from the ocean. Winters tend to be cold and foggy. Travelling to the romantic city of Venice in winter offers a unique addition to its romance and mystery as it can be wrapped in a blanket of mist for days....without the usual crowds of tourists.
• Southern Italy – Generally has a sunny, warm and dry Mediterranean climate year round. The summer months of July and August can be excessively hot and humid, but relief can be enjoyed during this time along the coast, or in the mountains and forested areas.
• The best times to visit the major destinations of Rome, Naples, Milan, Florence, Verona, Bologna, Venice and the Amalfi Coast are in April to June or September & October. The summer months of July and August can be excessively hot and humid.
• The holidays of Easter and Christmas, and the months of May, June and October are the busiest times with the largest crowds. Also, many shop and restaurant owners close for vacation in late August.
A luxury Italy vacation to the Beautiful Country presents the world traveler with a rich experience steeped in old world charm, a deep rooted and affectionate culture, and motivated modernization. Being the cradle of democracy and the seat of Roman Catholicism, Italy offers destinations rife with historical and religious treasures which touch the very core of many modern societies. Incredibly, Italy contains 44 UNESCO World Heritage sites, more than any other country in the world.
World travelers have been attracted to the cities of art, such as Rome, Florence and Venice, for centuries where incredible masterpieces of sculptures, paintings, frescos, architecture and more can be admired. A seemingly endless parade of spectacular works of art can be viewed throughout Italy, from Leonardo da Vinci’s Mona Lisa and The Last Supper to Michelangelo’s David and The Creation of Adam which graces the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel. Structures like the great Coliseum, the Leaning Tower of Pisa and the Vatican never cease to amaze.
Modern expansion and innovation can be seen in Milan, Italy’s financial hub. Europe’s largest and most modernized trade fairs can be found here as well as major advancements in residential development. Even in the seemingly unchangeable city of Venice, with its network of waterways navigated by fancy gondolas, sleek, modern bridges over the Grand Canal and contemporary areas to view its massive art collections like the Punta Della Dogana continue to be added.
The cities in Italy are only the tip of the proverbial iceberg when it comes to admiring the diversity of this lovely country. The surrounding countryside provides breathtaking views and exhilarating activities such as ski trips to the Italian Alps in the north, or yacht trips along the adorable Amalfi Coast. One can also hike through the Dolomites, explore Sardinia’s inspiring coast, stroll through the ruins of Pompeii under the ominous eye of Mt. Vesuvius, and bask on the white sandy beaches of Sicily, the largest island on the Mediterranean.
Of course, an Italy tour wouldn’t be complete without venturing on world class luxury wine tasting tours in Tuscany, dining on the culinary delights of homemade Italian foods and pastries, and staying at a romantic Italian luxury villa.
Inspired to travel to Italy but overwhelmed by the planning? Let Zicasso’s top travel agent partners customize an itinerary for you, tailored to your schedule, interests, and budget. Tell us your dream trip and up to 3 agents will compete to customize your trip. They’ll share expert advice and insider access to unique and authentic experiences. The first simple step: Submit a Trip Request.